In the previous post I wrote that the Bike E wheel was ready. Well, I didn’t ride into Launceston to pick it up as Mrs C and I had a few things to do – so we drove.
Arrived home and fitted the wheel. What a fiddly job!! To get the wheel in one brake block has to be removed to accommodate the Big Apple tyre. All went OK except the brake block just would not go back on at the required angle. Lots of fiddling and rude words and eventually the little cup and cone joints on either side of the brake arm settled in a position that was OK. Not perfect but OK. So, there was the bike with good brakes, good wheel bearings and suspension holding at 132 psi – the pressure for me. I pedalled it round the block and all seemed OK so I then pedalled out of Longford and up Wilmore’s Lane. Then we rode a bit of Bishopsbourne Road before retuning to Wilmore’s and the three hills, the descending of which gave a bit of concern when the bike would not steer straight. How is it now? Good. The bike descended at up to 45kph like it was on a rail. It is now safe to return to Huonville – after I have a couple more weeks of riding it!
The next day I took the Brompton on the local shopping run. The bike computer just would not link to the sensor again. No time to fix, so this was left to fix later. The day after and a bit more poking of the units to make sure they were close enough together and lined up OK – still no good. Managed to get a link but the speed varied from 2.5kph to 12kph while rolling at a steady speed along the street. Today I had time to delve into it. I decided to move the sensor a little higher on the forks – can’t move it too much as the forks are not that big! I reckoned any reduction of distance between the two units was worth a try.
So the sensor is as high as it will go. It was a little higher that pictured above but the brakes hit it when they were applied. Trial run = all OK. Fingers crossed it will stay OK.
Autumn is doing it’s thing. The poplars are moving past colouring up and getting into leaf distribution mode. Soon they will be architectural stick collections.
Every morning this week has had a foggy start.
This morning the fog hung around until now – nearly 11.30am – when the sun just started to break through.
Next week I will have three working bikes to choose from and nothing much scheduled so, weather permitting, it should be yet another 100k week! Now to think of a picturesque ride to feature.
Total for week : 107 k Total for year : 1,874 k
Vivente : 65 k Brompton : 17 k Bike E : 25 k