Once more I seem to spend more time working on bikes than riding them.
Monday. With the weather being cold and wet early on I concentrated on the Anura. The difficulties with the gear change may be because I pushed the boom out without adding links to the chain. It may also be because the chain is worn. To deal with both possibilities, I decided to replace the chain with new and, to do that, I needed to know what chain was on there now. An initial look showed me there was already a short chain extension added using power links. I couldn’t get the power links undone with what I had – so took a trip into Launceston for a pair of powerlink pliers. Using them I easily undid the two links and removed the extension piece only to find the added chain was probably really too narrow – it was for a 9 speed cassette. Perhaps that was the issue? I broke a bit off the main chain and looked up the numbers on the chain on the ‘Net. Crikey – bicycle chain is a complex issue!! Millions of internet pages devoted to it (where do they all fit!!!? How many servers hold the information?? OK, let’s ignore the sidetrack). Eventually I worked out the current chain is a 7mm wide jobbie for an 8 speed Shimano hyperglide freewheel (not cassette). Probably.
The next day, back to the LBS to see if they had any chain of this type. They did and I bought 3 (plus 7mm power links) to make sure I had enough. Also slipped into the bag were a pair of SPD pedals. By Tuesday afternoon I had linked up and installed the new chain which seems to hang correctly at the derailleur – but not exactly like the Greenspeed doco picture.
By then a box had arrived from Greenspeed containing new tyres and mudguards. At the LBS I had also purchased 3 new inner tubes so they could be installed. Once the chain was in place (a simple statement hiding a lot of swearing) I started work on the tyres. It was about 2°C at the start and the old tyres were hard to get off and the new tyres just didn’t want to be installed – even with the tyre jack. I put the new tyres in the sun to (hopefully) expand a bit, left them and went to work some more on the chain – adding a few links. When the day had warmed up I returned to the tyres and got the new units installed. Just as the light faded. Tuesday over and no riding so far.
The is the “Tyre Jack”. Thanks to this device I can change tyres and mend punctures!
Wednesday began with a tyre check. All had remained inflated overnight .. so far so good. This morning was disc brake adjustment day so, back to the ‘Net, how do Avid BB5s work? I adjusted the front brake which had been rubbing, added the new pedals and then took the trike for a ride up Wilmore’s Lane.
On Bishopsbourne Road about to turn into Wilmore’s Lane. The Ortleib pannier fits well on the back.
Uphill the Anura/Tony combo was quite slow but not too much effort was needed to keep the pedals spinning. Coming back it was also slower down the hills than Vivente and this surprised me with all the hype about trikes being fast downhill. The very bumpy chip seal felt quite bouncy but there was no back jarring thanks to the seat. Hey, how about that – there was a ride today!
Wednesday evening was spent getting the Bike E into the back of the car c/w all the clobber we need for 2 nights away with Oscar. A bit of a challenge.
Thursday we set off early for Huonville and by early afternoon the Bike E had been handed over to Ken.
Friday was a short ride around Huonville to check out the Bike E making sure it had survived it’s trip south and then for Ken to ride it while I followed on his Dahon. He was happy with the way it rides now. Phew. No further cycling on Friday as we went to a commemorative event for a friend who passed away last week.
Saturday was also a “no ride day” as we spent it getting back home and visiting friends at Swansea on the way. A really tasty soup and bread lunch was supplied by Sally – well worth a mention in these pages!
On Sunday I adjusted the Anura gears and added a couple more links in the chain – still trying to get it right. There has been a noisy crunch when changing down from 5th to 4th and when hopping onto the largest cog at gear 1.
The sunny look belies the 6°C – note new tyres (with reflective sides) and mudguards!!
Then I headed out to the Perth / Breadalbane cycle track once more to give it a run. 3 laps had me getting tired and finding how the gears are now working. There is still an issue with the down change now and again and I have no idea what the cause is at the moment, but it is easily managed with a little care.
I think I have done all I can Anurawise for now. Next week I should be able to concentrate on getting a few ks in on all bikes and getting the total for the year up a bit more.
Till next time …..
Total for week : 52 k Total for year : 2,199 k
Vivente : 0 k Brompton : 0 k Bike E : 5 k Anura : 47 k